Once you’ve mastered the seven steps to becoming a good role-player, you also need to master the steps to becoming a good player. Here are a few ideas from my GM experiences (in no particular order):
1. Keep your character sheet up to date.
2. Don’t argue, nitpick or pixelbitch with the GM.
3. Don’t play like it’s a solo adventure, let everyone else have their turn.
4. Pay attention.
5. Put away your f-ing phone.
6. Don’t hog the attention.
7. Know and use your character’s abilities/powers/spells/skills.
8. Be creative and describe what you’re doing.
9. Don’t be afraid to try something that isn’t written on your character sheet.
10. Know the rules.
11. Try to bring your character to life.
12. Don’t meta-game.
13. In combat, take your turns quickly.
14. Don’t confuse player knowledge with character knowledge.
15. Try to make a character that’s compatible with the other party members.
16. Try to build on what the GM and the other characters are doing, rather than undermine.
Check out the full rules for Heroes Against Darkness over at the downloads page: Heroes Against Darkness – Game Rules.